Si je n'avais pas lu Edward Saïd, je serais orientaliste - لو ما قرأت كتاب إدوارد سعيد لكنت مستشرقة

Friday 4 November 2011

The butterfly mosque

Autobiography by Willow Wilson

     I ordered it through amazon by chance (I don't like sponsoring anyone or anything but I have to admit my life has been embellished by this website ... Where else could I find so many books so cheap?), I think I heard of it first on another website (muslimahwatch if I'm not mistaken) and I didn't even remember the subject by the time I received it.
     And so I began reading it and was enthralled by the story at its first pages ... It was the first time ever I could relate almost totally to the experience of another convert ( revert as many muslims like to call us ), and her story is so beautifully written, with a very light style, amusing, and above all, something I appreciate, being raised french, not trying to convince anyone of anything, the author here just want us to read her story and at least understand, if not approve, what happened to her, what her life has been and might still is. 
     It's refreshing (another widely used term that comes to mean almost anything, but it's the only one I can think of today), it's an adventure, and it's the sort of book that contributes to "building bridges between cultures" (gosh I'm so mainstream today !), and not destroy them.
So you you have a little time (quick read) and some money (you can get it really cheap second hand ... Or free in any library), I strongly recommend it.

     Autobiographie de Willow Wilson, que l'on peut traduire par "la mosquée papillon", pas encore traduite en français me semble-t-il. Belle histoire d'une américaine convertie, une conversion qui me ressemble d'ailleurs beaucoup, mais c'est surtout l'histoire de sa rencontre avec son mari, et le style est très agréable et léger, et l'auteur ne cherche à aucun moment à convaincre qui que ce soit sur quoi que ce soit, ce qui est en soi très agréable par les temps qui courent ... !

   "مسجد الفراشة" سيرة ذاتية لويلو ويلسون (كاتبة اميريكية) 
اشتريت هذا الكتاب ولمل استلمته ما تذكرت عما كانت القصة ... وكنت متعجبة باكتاب من الصفحة الاولى : سيرة من امرأة اميريكية التي اسلمت وسافرت الى مصر وتزوجت هناك وهذا القصة هي الولى التي مشبهة بقصتي انا فيما تكتب عن مشاعرها وكيف الحياة دفعتها في هذا الاتجاه. ومهم جدا بنسبة للقراء الغربيين، لا تحاول ان تقنع احدا مع اية من فكراتها. تحاول الكاتبة ان تجعل الناس متفاهمين مع قصتها فقط، ولا حتى راضيين.

No comments:

Post a Comment